Thursday, January 1, 2009

Last of Great Christmas Adventures!


Monday December 29, 2008

The snow had turned to rain and so it was helping melt the snow away. Adam and I took the 2 girls out to run some errands and pick up dinner supplies for dinner that night. We were planning on getting together with Spencer, Ildiko and her mother Martha for dinner. We decided to have schnitzel and apple macron. It was a Swiss specialty that has become a family favorite.








Once Ildiko arrived we began making the specialty Hungarian cake which is called the drum cake. It is a 6 layer cake with a chocolate filling and a caramelized topping. She made it for us last year for our family fondue party and I have wanted to learn how to make it since then.


That is one of the things on my list to do was to learn how to make this cake. It was so much fun to have my siblings around and together and making a cake. As you can see we had many cooks in the kitchen to help with the cake and with dinner. I am not sure what happened, but the filling didn’t turn out the way it was suppose to and the cake batter was thicker than it normally is. I kept telling Ildiko this happens when you try to teach something you have been doing for years. Things just don’t turn out when you want them to. I had the same thing happen to me when I was doing cooking group. The peanut butter balls turned into something I have never seen before, and I have been making them for years. This was the same. She has been making this for years and it just didn’t turn out the way it was suppose to. Everything that could go wrong did. It is a timely process to make this cake and 4 hours later this is what we got. I have to say, it was very tasty and was worth all the effort even if it didn’t turn out.









My favorite part of the evening, other then the cooking with family was at the end of the meal when everyone was done. The kids came in from their table and we all talked together. Ildiko shared with us the sounds that farm animals make in Hungry and we compared them to the farm animals in the US and it was very different and funny to us and to Ildiko and her mom of the different sounds. We also learned how to count in Hungry and many other words like “Spencer is a cheater” It turned into a late night and after some family had left we had time to sit and talk with the kids.

This is when we were able to film Janie singing her ABC’s

Tuesday December 30, 2008



The trip went way to fast, and before we knew it was time to fly home. I am not ready to leave. It was so much fun to be with family and spend the time with our nieces and nephews. They are too fun to leave. I did get a fish taco on my way to the airport. Yesterday when Adam and I got out we went to get a fish taco and can you believe the guy tells me they are out of Fish? Seattle, they are out of fish? I explained that I have not had a fish taco from this place in five years and that I was only in town for another day. Oh well I tried! So that is why I had to try one more time before we left for the airport. Our flight home was uneventful and I am thankful for that. Everything ran on schedule and we were home just as planed. The snow is starting to melt when we left and the winter wonderland that had us on lock down was now disappearing. We were not able to do all the things that we had planed for the trip, but who cares. We were able to spend it together and that was more fun! Thanks for a great trip. We love and miss you Spencer, Ildiko, Nancy, Randy, Calvin, Saren, Scott and Janie already! I even miss Kitty 1, Kitty 2 and Kitty- Janie

No comments: