Monday, July 26, 2010
12 Surprises From a Cucumber
I had to share these 12 Surprises from a cucumber. I get a weekly email that is set up from my church group and was completely blown away with some of this stuff.
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day—including Vitamin B1, Vita-
min B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magne-
sium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Cucumbers provide a quick pick-me-up that can last for hours (thanks to the B vitamins
3. Rub a cucumber on a foggy bathroom mirror and the fog will disappear—and make your
bathroom smell yummy!
4. Placing a few slices in a pie tin in your garden will keep grubs and slugs from ruining your
5. Cucumbers reduce the appearance of cellulite and wrinkles! Just rub on the problem area
and the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten.
6. Cucumbers can help eliminate headaches.
7. Rub a freshly cut cucumber over your shoes, and its chemicals will provide a quick and
durable shine that looks great and repels water!
8. Rub a cucumber slice along a squeaky hinge and the squeak will disappear!
9. Cut up an entire cucumber and place in a pot of boiling water. The chemicals and nutrients react with the water and are released
in the steam, creating a soothing and relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress.
10. Press a slice of cucumber to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to reduce bad breath.
11. Rub a slice of cucumber on your faucets, sinks or stainless steel, and it will remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine—and
it won’t harm your fingers or fingernails!
12. The outside of a cucumber can be used to erase pen writing and remove crayon and marker from the wall.
This information was taken from the New York Times’ “Spotlight on the Home” series.